Here is a recipe that my husband learnt from his friend Mark. It’s really quick and simple but I thought I’d share it as we’ve been making it a lot lately, and I personally would never have thought to grate tomatoes… Fresh and summery, it makes for a perfect breakfast or light lunch!
Grated Tomatoes on Toast
You will need:
2 slices bread
2 plum tomatoes
Small clove garlic/half a regular clove (or less) – minced
Small bunch fresh basil – chopped
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat your grill to a medium heat.
2. Toast your bread and place onto a baking tray.
3. Grate the tomatoes into a bowl. You will be left with empty tomato skins – discard.
4. Mix the minced garlic and chopped basil into the tomato.
5. Spoon the tomato mix onto the slices of toast, season with salt and pepper and place under the grill for a few minutes, making sure the bread doesn’t burn. The grill will remove some moisture from the tomatoes and intensify the flavour.